Refer to or Contact Student Advocacy

Don’t try to go it alone

You could be the first person to recognize that a student needs help. If you think that you need help yourself, are unsure of how to provide support to someone else, or do not feel you have the resources to meet a student’s needs, contact us. We will follow up on your referral and make sure they get the assistance the need and deserve. Don’t worry if you’re not sure if this a problem for the advocate. Submit your referral anyway. We will never turn down a request for help.

Refer someone to or contact Student Advocacy

How can you help?

If you are concerned about a student, we recommend talking to them privately and in person as a first step to getting them help. If you are unsure how to respond to their needs, contact us. There are other people on campus who can help as well, including Counseling and Psychological Services, Housing and Residence Life, Student Conduct, Adaptive Educational Services, the Behavioral Consultation Team, or the student’s academic advisor.

As a campus, we are committed to intervening before crises even occur. Primary prevention involves everyone. You can be trained in bystander intervention to develop the awareness, skills, and confidence to safely intervene in a situation where sexual misconduct, alcohol poisoning and other crimes and emergencies may occur.

How can we help?

Depending on the situation, we may reach out to the student and offer assistance. We will do our best to provide them with the support and the resources they need. We also work with the student to create an action plan to get them back on the path to success.

We also follow the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) and will only discuss the student’s concerns with individuals outside the university if they have given permission, if we are required by law, or if there is a perceived imminent risk of serious harm.

Report an incident of misconduct

You may wish to submit a report for incidents of personal, organizational, or sexual misconduct. These reports will be handled by the Office of Student Conduct and other appropriate offices at Indiana University.