Advocacy & Resources

We respect your privacy

We want you to feel comfortable voicing your concerns and considering all the options to your problem. It's important to know that the Office of Student Advocacy and Support is not a confidential office, but we strive to maintain your privacy.

Generally, we will not share your concerns or situation with others. There may be times where we have to consult with other faculty and staff to provide you with the most effective support, but we will not share your information with individuals who do not have a need to know.

Additionally, there is some information that we are required to report by law and/or university policy. For example, should a student disclose information related to harm to themself or others, sexual misconduct or interpersonal violence, abuse of a child or endangered adult, or crimes that occurred on or near campus, our staff may be required to report that information to the appropriate university office or law enforcement agency. If you have any questions about our reporting obligations, don’t hesitate to ask.

We follow the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) and will only discuss your concerns with individuals outside the university if you have given permission, if we are required by law, or if there is a perceived imminent risk of serious harm. There may be certain circumstances in which students want the Office of Student Advocacy and Support to work with a third party, such as a parent or family member. If this is the case, the student should contact our office so that we can provide them with the appropriate release form to complete.

Know a student who is struggling? Refer them to us.

Student Advocacy and Support can help a student with a variety of personal and academic concerns, but they are not confidential advocates. Use this referral form if a student is struggling with academics, personal concerns, or basic needs.

Refer to student advocacy

Interpersonal violence prevention services and resources

If you have experienced sexual misconduct or believe your rights have been violated, you have several options available to you, including confidential advocacy services. 

The confidential advocate in Counseling and Psychological Services can connect you with on-campus and community options and resources.

Contact the confidential advocate

More interpersonal violence prevention resources