Mental Health Services

How to make an appointment

Making an appointment with Counseling and Psychological Services is simple. We’ve outlined the process below. 

  1. Call 317-274-2548, email, or walk into the CAPS office to initiate an appointment.
  2. You will be sent paperwork to complete via email.
  3. Once you’ve completed the paperwork, call or email CAPS, and your initial consultation appointment will be scheduled either virtually or in person.
  4. During the initial consultation, a member of our professional counseling staff will conduct a brief assessment, which typically lasts 30–45 minutes. Based on your specific needs and goals, you will be given a treatment recommendation, which could include: group therapy, referral to a community provider, other services on campus, psychiatry, individual counseling, or other specialized treatment.
  5. Once you have your treatment recommendation, CAPS staff will assist you in next steps.


Service fees at CAPS

Your initial consultation appointment (described above) is free. Several other services at CAPS are also free, and others have a minimal cost.

Learn how much CAPS costs


 Crisis resources

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline:988 or 1-800-273-8255 (TALK)
Crisis Text Line:Text HOME to 741741
National Domestic Violence Hotline:1-800-799-7233
National Sexual Assault Hotline:1-800-656-4673
Veterans Crisis Line:Text 838255 or 988 then Press 1
Trevor Project Crisis Support (LGBT):Text START to 678678 or 1-866-488-7386

Privacy and your records at IU Indianapolis CAPS

The privacy of health-related information, including your records at IU Indianapolis CAPS, is governed by federal and state laws. IU Indianapolis CAPS prioritizes the privacy of your health care information and strives to comply with all related federal and state laws and professional ethical codes. When laws and codes conflict, CAPS will generally apply the more restrictive of policies and consider the health, safety, and well-being of all involved.

Learn more about privacy and your records

Campus concerns

Part of a campus group that has experienced loss or tragedy? Contact JagsCARE at 317-274-2548.

Concerned about someone in the campus community? Contact the Behavioral Consultation Team (BCT).

Submit a concerned persons report